Hospice Care Is A Team
Hospice care is built on an interdisciplinary team model consisting of professionally trained individuals to care for patients and their families. As an interdisciplinary team, the team works together to develop a plan of care to meet the needs of the patient and family.
The core team includes:
- The Patient's Primary Physician (The patient’s primary physician will coordinate care with the Hospice Medical Director).
- Hospice Medical Director
- Registered Nurse
- Medical Social Worker
- Certified Nurse Aide
Depending on the individual’s needs and wishes, other team members may include:
- Grief Counselor
- Hospice Chaplain
- Volunteer Caregiver
- Occupational, Physical, Speech and/or Respiratory Therapist
The team works closely with attending physicians and hospitals to ensure continuity of care and enhanced quality of life for patients, caregivers and family members.
Many Hospice of North Idaho team members receive special certification through professional hospice palliative care accreditation organizations, including:
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Care Physicians
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Care Nurses
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization